Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Rosemary Garlic Grilled Shrimp...Paleo, Dairy Free, Sugar Free

One of my favorite things about summer is the ability to grill out! I guess you could grill out in the winter, if you wanted to freeze your booty off running to and from the grill and house... but what's the fun in that? The beauty of summer cook outs is the nice weather (or is there ever nice summer weather in Texas?!), the smoky smell of the food, and the company you can enjoy the outdoors with.

I have cooked out a few times since the weather has been warmer, and again planned to yesterday. A friend of ours just gave us a few pounds of fresh shrimp caught by the coast... I couldn't wait to cook it up! Even though I really love seafood, I almost never have the opportunity to eat it. so this was exciting!

I knew I needed to utilize my herb harden outside, so I came up with a marinade and ultimately, this recipe! Enjoy...

Rosemary Garlic Grilled Shrimp 

So delicious and light. It really is perfect for summer!

3 springs fresh rosemary ( You might be able to get away with a TBSP of dry if you dont have fresh)
Juice of 1 lime
2 small garlic cloves, chopped
1 lb fresh medium-large shrimp

1) Prepare your ingredients for the marinade!


































2) Place your shrimp in a bowl near the sink and start de-veining and unshelling them (unless yours were bought with this already done)
Discard the vein and shell in a bag and place the fresh meat in a separate bowl.

3) Place your dry marinade ingredients in the bowl with your shrimp meat, and squeeze the lime juice over it.
Cover, and place in your fridge to marinade for about 4 hours (or overnight).

Now, here is when things went a bit awry for me. I guess since the hibernation months of winter (read: no grilling!), our gas tank for the grill has ran out. I found this out the hard way yesterday... walked outside, tried to torch that baby up... and after a few tries, I realized it was a lost cause. 

So there I was, marinated raw shrimp in hand, and no grill to grill it on! So what does this girl do?

This girl improvises, that's what. 

I had a bit of cleaning up to do afterwards (nothing bad), but the shrimp were fully cooked and honestly there wasn't TOO big of a difference... 

I actually do not know for fact if cooking these via stove top is hazardous in any way, so if you know more about why it could be bad, let me know. I did not see a huge problem with it, and no food got under the burner so I think everything was fine? 


Mmm. Look at those "grill" marks. I know, i'm so talented. 

But really, this recipe is super easy, and really tasty! Go ahead and try it out (hopefully you can use a real grill...) and tell me what you think.

Have you ever had to improvise when cooking?
What are your favorite ways to enjoy seafood?

Natalie  














No comments:

VGN