Saturday, August 3, 2013

Basil Curry Hummus!

As sad as it is, I must speak the truth. Sometimes, prices of food are just too high to be purchasing certain items as frequently as I would like.

Yes, Sabra, I am looking at you. 

I posted a recipe for hummus before and discussed this topic. Even though I LOVE the smooth, cool, creaminess of a good ol' tub of Sabra, I just can't purchase a $7-8 tub of the stuff each week (which is about how fast I use it!).

I've found it SO much cheaper to just make my own. I used mixed beans last time, but this time I went traditional and used garbanzo beans. I can easily find an organic brand, with the only ingredients being sea salt and beans, for around a buck at my local Kroger.  




Basil Curry Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 TBSP olive oil
1/3 cup unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
2-3 basil leaves 
1 TBSP curry powder 



1) Place all ingredients into a blender.

2) Blend until smooth. If your blender is not the best, as mine is not, you may have to periodically stop the blender and mix the hummus around so that all the beans are blended. Add extra stock as needed.

And there you go! How EASY is that? 

What I love about making your own is that you can throw anything you want into the blender. Roasted peppers, extra garlic, even jalapeno! 

You can put this stuff on anything, use it as a dip, or a base for other dips/sauces. Do what I did and have on a slice of some home made whole grain bread! 

How do you like your hummus? 
Have you ever made your own?

Natalie 

No comments:

VGN