Sunday, December 29, 2013

All About QUINOA! Pecan Raisin Quinoa Salad: Vegetarian, Vegan

ON A SIDE NOTE, I WOULD LIKE TO MENTION THAT THIS IS MY 100TH BLOG POST!! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS SUPPORTED ME THE PAST TWO YEARS. 

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO READS CLEAN EATING TEEN!

Hey there Clean Eaters! I apologize for my absence this past week, with the holidays. I hope your Christmas (if you celebrate that) was fun, safe, and joyful.

After these crazy holidays, I'm sure many of you want some time to relax and just detox. I think today's recipe is perfect for that!

I don't know how you chose to balance out the holiday treats. I personally did my best on staying on track during the holidays, making healthy versions of sweets. Thanksgiving I did indulge with a slice of home made coconut cake, but other than that everything had been normal eating for me nutritionally!

Many people over-indulge during the holidays due to the abundance of food, sweets, and alcohol. This is probably why come January 1st, the top item on most resolutions lists is to get healthy!



But like I and anyone else who is participating in the No Excuse November Challenge with me... why start in January when you can start RIGHT NOW? Thanksgiving is over with. Christmas just passed. What is holding you back?

If you remember from my Thanksgiving recap, I posted a picture of my meal.



The above is pictured with some turkey, but the yummy looking stuff underneath is today's recipe!

Let's be honest here. I have a serious love for carbs... at least, the healthy kinds!

I LOVE quinoa. I have used it in previous recipes, it is the star of this one... and I am sure it will be used again soon!

Here are some stats on the super grain:


  • Quinoa gives a lot of bang for its buck. For only 222 calories per cup of cooked quinoa, it gives over 8 grams of protein! 
  • It actually is not a grain. It is related to dark leafy vegetables such as spinach, and is allowed in most Paleo life styles. 
  • It is gluten free.
  • It is a complete protein, having all essential amino acids. 
  • Quinoa is high in manganese, magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorus. 
Thanks Marks Daily Apple for these facts !




Pecan Raisin Quinoa Salad

Serves 3-5

1/3 cup dry quinoa
3/4 cup+1/2 cup vegetable stock, unsalted
1 small onion, diced
1/3 bell pepper, diced
3/4 cup chopped mushroom
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 small carrots, chopped
1 small sweet potato, chopped and cooked (boiled or roasted) with skin
1/3 cup unsweetened raisins
1/3-1/2 cup shelled pecans (bits and halves)
TBSP coconut oil
1/2 TBSP herbs de province
TSP thyme, dried
2 TSP cumin
2 TSP garlic powder
2 TSP chili powder
pinch of salt



1) Bring 3/4 cups of stock and 1 TSP of cumin, garlic, and chili powder to a low boil. Add the dry quinoa and let it simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed. Set the pot aside.


2) Chop all your veggies, then melt your coconut oil over medium high heat. Saute the veggies (not the sweet potato) for about 3 minutes.


3) Add in the rest of your seasoning, as well as the quinoa and any leftover liquid. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.


4) At this point, toss in your raisins and your pecans. Stir in the rest of the stock.



5) Turn the heat down, and add the sweet potato. Cover the mixture and let the flavors meld together and the liquids to be absorbed for a few minutes.

6) Serve and enjoy!



I ate this salad hot, but it would also be fantastic cold. You could add some wilted spinach or kale if you wanted too!

Try this super detox salad and tell me how you feel after! Even if you aren't really "detoxing" per say, this is still a super easy meal or side dish.

How are you detoxing after the holidays?

Natalie 


1 comment:

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually get rid of fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

VGN