Saturday, March 1, 2014

Why the "Rough Days" are Important

Recently, I posted a picture on my Facebook as well as on a post here that showed some progress I have made fitness wise in the past few months.



I won't make this a lengthy post... I just wanted to get a few points across, some ideas that I thought were important.

I have been working out for 5 years. Until December, I have been limited to lighter weights at home. But you know what those 5 years of at home workouts did?



They got me stronger. Maybe not "I can squat 200lbs" strong, but stronger mentally as well as physically. 

I can do a pushup now, for example. 

Working out at home as given me the base strength and endurance I needed to start REALLY lifting heavier weights at the gym now. 

But, most of all, they have taught me about the emotional ups and downs of getting in shape, and how to deal with them.



Fitness is a journey. It isn't always a straight path, and it is often rocky.

Anyone who tells you that they LOVE doing each of their workouts ALL the time, or who claim they have never been unmotivated, or have never been upset by not seeing results they want... they're lying! 

Because lets be honest: Getting in shape is hard. STAYING in shape is harder. And then you throw in goals like improving your run time, upping your rep or weights... and it gets crazy.

But am I saying that doing these things is IMPOSSIBLE? No. They are COMPLETELY possible. Maybe not always easy, but have you ever heard that saying that nothing good ever comes easily?


The days that you don't feel like waking up at 5AM to hit the gym.

When you have been diligent in your training and still haven't seen the results you want...yet.

The time you fell on your butt during your squat set.

When your family and friends don't understand why you suddenly stopped eating Twinkies and picked up Crossfit, a barbell, a marathon...

Why do we put ourselves through these things? These "rough days", as I call them, happen to us all. So what gives us the strength to...

Lace up your shoes and go to the gym at 5AM.

Keep your head up and keep training faithfully. 

Stand back up, get back under the bar, and squat again. 

Explain with a smile that it makes you feel good. 



We get the strength because of how the GOOD DAYS feel. The days when you hit a new PR, or you finally can see definition if your abs, or heck... how about the day a diabetic can finally put away their insulin shots for good?

And without the Rough Days, there would be no such thing as Good Days.

So remember, guys... the rough days are important!

What are your thoughts on the "rough days"?

Natalie












No comments:

VGN